Dear ULS Ohana,
The University Laboratory School (ULS) is a unique and special organization. Our charter school serves two interlocking missions: to design and deliver the best possible education to our own students, and to be a leader in educational research and development. Our vision is that all students will graduate ready for college, work, and responsible citizenship.
In order to achieve our mission and vision we need financial support from the community. We would like to thank all the parents, alumni and community supporters who have contributed to it this past year. As you may be aware, the per pupil funding received from the Charter School Commission is inadequate for our student needs and we need to find other ways to supplement our per pupil costs. We count on this Annual Appeal to the community to fill that shortfall in funding.
We ask that you please consider an online donation to support the school. Your donations support our ongoing school programs, including assisting with technology purchases, musical instruments, equipment and supplies, transportation, textbooks and facility upgrades.
In 2013 we established the University Laboratory School Foundation, a 501(c)(3) public charity, to help facilitate receipt of donations from not only our current students and families, but to also help engage the Alumni who have been inquiring about how to help. The response to the new foundation has been tremendous and the results are now visible on campus.
Phase I – At the beginning of the year the Multi-Purpose Building (MPB) was selected as the first phase of our endeavor because our entire school community utilizes the MPB. With your support through volunteer work and monetary donations, we have replaced the original wood louvered windows and missing/broken screens with new impact resistant louvered windows, re-painted the interior, installed new ceiling fans, and replaced the water cooler with new bottle refill stations.
Phase II – Over the summer we have begun the second phase of our facility improvements. At Building 3 we have replaced existing broken ceiling fans at room 217, 220 and 227. A bottle refill station has also been installed on the first floor and a portion of the lockers have been repainted. One of the biggest changes you will see is the new PE field. With volunteers we cleaned the field and now UH Mänoa is installing an irrigation system. We hope to have a level P.E. field soon!!
For some of our future projects in the 2015-2016 school year the foundation and school has set a goal of $150,000 for our Annual Appeal to school parents. With your continued support we are striving to implement the following facility goals this school year:
- Building 3 – We are looking into the installation of air conditioners with photovoltaic panels to cool down several rooms. We are working with the University to explore our options. We are also looking to replacement of classroom chairs in select rooms.
- MPB – Replacement of broken cafeteria tables.
- Castle Memorial – Ceiling fans for elementary classrooms.
- P.E. Field and Locker Room – Complete the installation of the new P.E. field and painting and clean-up of the locker rooms.
- Building 3 – We are also working with ULS student groups and the College of Education to create new learning environments. We are specifically looking to develop and create a model science classroom which demonstrates our commitment to excellence in science.
To make donating easy, the foundation created this new website to help better facilitate online donations.
We appreciate your generosity and continued support of the University Laboratory School.